I promise that I will farm according to free range and organic standards to improve the health of my animals, my family, my community, and the environment.
1. I will keep animals in an environment where they can practice their natural behavior (e.g. moving freely, foraging, grooming, dust-bathing, feeding in grass fields).
2. I will make sure animals have access to fresh drinking water at all times.
3. I will make sure animals have daily access to outdoor pasture with vegetation.
4. I will make sure that the outdoor pasture area includes shade and protection from predators.
5. If indoor housing is provided, I will make sure it provides adequate space for all animals to freely move and rest in a natural position.
6. I will not do any mutilations like beak or wing cutting, branding, dehorning, nose ringing, or ear notching. Castration will only be done with anesthesia.
7. I will use indigenous, locally adapted varieties when possible. I will actively maintain genetic biodiversity and will not use cloned or genetically engineered breeds.
8. I will ensure that feed does not include synthetic additives, growth promoters, GMOs, excrement, or byproducts from the same species.
9. I will not give the animals any hormones, growth-promoting drugs, or prophylactic antibiotics.
10. If synthetic drugs or antibiotics are used to treat sick or injured animals, I will ensure that these animals are kept separately, and no milk, eggs, or meat are sold from these animals as free range or organic.
11. If transport is required, I will ensure that transport times are less than 4 hours, food and water is provided, and animals are handled calmly and gently to minimize stress.
12. If animals are slaughtered, I will make special efforts to minimize stress, pain, and suffering. Animals will be handled calmly and gently. Living animals will not be able to hear or smell dying or dead animals.
13. I will ensure all feed is from a verifiably organic source that is under an accredited organic certificate or organic PGS.
I understand that my farm will be visited by an evaluation team. I promise to share my records and provide correct and accurate information.
I understand that if I break this promise, I will no longer be able to sell my products as free range or organic under this Participatory Guarantee System.